Monday, September 22, 2008

New Kids on The Block Concert!!


By popular demand here is my New Kids on the Block review!!

First off let me tell you I've been looking forward to seeing them again for the past 20 years since the first time I saw them!! Just buying the tickets I was sweating and shaking I was so excited.

So the night started with us sitting in the marche singing and dancing and making the Joe doll move- thank you Mandy May for bring her Joey Joe Bird McIntyre doll- that was amazing!

So just walking to the ACC I was getting pretty ridiculous and hyper- I don't think that I've ever been as excited for any other concert in my life.

When we went in we went straight to the merchandise- unfortunately I don't have any of my original New Kids wear so I of course needed to fit in and wear NKOTB wear. I kid you not about 80-90% of the audience was wearing something NKOTB that night- it was like a lovely lovely cult! I have never seen a merchandise booth so packed full of people in my life- it was insane!! But Mandy and I persevered and got our glittering pink Cover Girl tank tops- that's right- I rocked that shirt with pride!!

So we finally went into the concert and discovered that our seats were quite fantastic- down in the 100s I knew I would get some amazing views of my boys!

Natasha Bedingfield was singing...saw her sing Unwritten...that was enough for me. I mean I have nothing against her but really I was there for the 5 bad brothers from Beantown land.

The anticipation of them coming on was overwhelming- I was SOOOO worked up!! When the lights went down I started screaching and stomping my feet- I quite literally lost my mind!! I'm telling you I have never ever been to a concert that was that loud and deafening. I mean I don't think it's possible to explain the insanity of the evening. Last night was the first concert that went on sale- it was the concert that had all the hardcore fans going crazy. All of the 10 year old girls are now 30 and trying to recreate their youth- it was insane!

They come up on a platform in a V formation and did their single song. Then they launched into My favorite girl. I kid you not- and I'm not just talking as a crazy fan- they were amazing!! They sounded great, they were incredibly enthusiastic and amazing performers and their dancing was fabulous! They really were great on stage.

I can't remember the song order because it was all just a blur of me screaming and losing my shit but essentially they played all the hits...and then some! When they did the Right Stuff I went mad- and when they did the right stuff dance I couldn't contain myself.

They danced on the mainstage then they came to this circular rotating stage with a piano on it that was right in front of us- it was fantastic!! We were soooo close!!

Individually they each did some stuff. Donnie was definitely the most interactive member of the group with the audience. He was very chatty and was getting the audience to scream more and more. He got so moved after Jordan's I'll be Loving You Forever that he cried- CRIED!! It was quite moving- he was so moved by the audience...because again- everyone was stark raving mad! He also did a solo "rock" version of Cover Girl that made me go mental- that was always my favorite song! (hence the tank top!)

I remember there was a long time when I wouldn't admit my love of the New Kids or my other cheesy fans because I didn't want to be made fun of. Well screw it- I'm too old for that shit. I'm going to keep wearing my shirt loud and proud in the future!!

Anyways, Danny did a bit of solo stuff. He had a little breakdance routine that he did and he came out with Jon with a camera and they put on Lady Gaga and were video'ing the audience- I'm not sure if it was for a video but I danced like no one was watching- hell I did that for the whole concert.

Jon didn't really do much- he had a solo line in my favorite girl...and that was about it. He did seem quite happy and didn't look like he wanted to run backstage- it looks like he conquered the anxiety stage fright and did well!

As for Joey Joe Bird he was definitely having fun! He was dancing his way off the stage and really got into his song. He was PASSIONATE! During Please Don't Go Girl he got down on his knees to emote...he was feeling it!! As was I! He also did a solo song that he got to emote in. He asked the audience if they were doing ok after 15 years- and they truly were! He was great- he sounded amazing and was surprisingly attractive- all he has to do to be truly hot is shave the pube stash he had going.

And then there's Jordan...love of my life...admittedly he sort of lost me a few years back when I watched the Surreal Life and he was such a prick it turned me off of him. But sitting there his voice brought out all the 11 year girl love that I had for him...I saw the rat tail and again he was main man! LOVE HIM!! He sounded soooo good! Granted he lipsynched his way through his solo song I'll give it to you but he was still great. He can still sing those high notes- and sadly it still made me squeal!! LOVE HIM!!! The best part though- he comes up at one point with a white blouse on (that's right, a blouse) that was unbuttoned and sang in front of a wind machine that blew his shirt around....amazing! Admittedly I peed myself laughing at it but it was a great moment. His body was fantastic actually- very toned and little- just how I like it!! He really did sound fantastic. He didn't really interact with the audience though- he left that to Joe and Donnie.

The did all the big hits then came out and did Step by Step as the first encore- I went nuts. Then the finally was Hangin Tough- by this time I was pretty much ready to be institutionalized I was so excited! They were soooo good! They sounded amazing and were so genuinely pleased to be there and excited that the audience was so into it.

So to sum up they were amazing, I was insane, and good times were had by all!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My voice is totally gone today from all the constant screaming and extra screeches every time I caught sight of my elusive Jon.

Unknown said...

I get to see them on Friday! I'm soo excited!

Sheila said...

This blog entry just made my day.

Glad to hear you had an amazing time and I can't wait to see the tshirt!