Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sharkwater

My friend Michelle had a free ticket to go see the movie Sharkwater tonight at Square One tonight. I can't turn down a free ticket! And I am really glad I went- it was a fantastic documentary. Incredibly disturbing yet quite informative. It was all about the illegal poaching and long line catching of sharks.

I have always enjoyed watching shows about sharks- my dad and I always used to watch Shark Week. This movie was so depressing- it just showed how ignorant people are. And it made me hate people more than I already do- and that is saying something.

The shark population is down 90% and many species are on the verge of extinction. And why is that? So some asian cultures can enjoy shark fin soup. A soup that is "made" with shark fins. Shark fins have absolutely no flavour. They do nothing but add status to you. They pull these sharks up, cut off their fins then throw them back in the water unable to swim. It is HORRIFIC- and it is happening all over the world. I am sooo disturbed- again, I hate people. These are the same people who kill bears just for their paws and gall bladders and leave the rest.

Now don't get me wrong- I am not against fishing or hunting. Obviously. But only under controlled situations. And not involving endangered species...or threatening the populations. And I believe in using the whole product. And in quick painless kills. If you are going to fish sharks eat the whole goddamn thing. Assholes.

I highly recommend this documentary- but it is rather graphic. Don't be like the dumbass mother who brought a 2 year old to see this. We all had to listen to the child's screams as she was traumatized

http://www.sharkwater.com/

No comments: