Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


I went to see this on Friday and I really enjoyed it. It did live up to the hype and I highly recommend it. Brad Pitt was great in it- he played the part super low key and subtle and it was really effective. I felt soooo bad for the character- it was heartbreaking. And Cate Blanchette as always was sublime- I love her! The supporting cast was also great- I really enjoyed it. The true stars of the movie though had to be the makeup artists- the way they aged the characters throughout the movie was just amazing. I mean Brad Pitt looked exactly like he did 20 years....good god he is a sexy beast. I mean in this movie he is SOOOO good looking- him on the motorcycle with the floppy hair was amazing!!

There were some flaws though in the movie. I don't understand why filmmakers insist on making such long movies. I blame Titanic for this- once everyone else saw that people would watch long ass movies they all decided to make the movies as long as possible. In this movie there was a lot of filler and too much contrived symbolism for my liking. The whole bit with the clock at the beginning was useless- they never really tied it into the body of the story and it was not necessary. And there were quite a few comparaisons that could be made between this movie and Forrest Gump- the only difference was Forrest worked on a Shrimp Boat whereas he was on a tugboat. But I always liked Forrest Gump so it didn't bother me too much

So in the end I really would recommend this movie- it had a really good premise and was quite moving

No comments: