Sunday, July 19, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I just walked out of the movie 1/2 an hour ago so it is incredibly fresh in my mind. I LOVED IT!!! I LOVED IT!!! I HEART HARRY POTTER!

Have I mentioned I enjoyed it!?!?

I feel like this franchise has really found it's niche. The first three weren't always consistent- well I blame the weird ass "artsy" director they got for the 3rd. But we now know all these characters and all the supporting cast- it is so familiar and comforting.

LOVED the humour in this movie. Ron as always was brilliant but Harry was funny too. Daniel Radcliffe definitely gets better with every movie. And Lavender- YOU ROCKED!! Luna- I can never get enough of you.

And Slughorn. Slughorn. You deserve the freakin academy award for this- what a character!! HE WAS AMAZING!! And surprisingly similar to an eccentric oncologist that I work with. I have always loved Jim Broadbent and he just is amazing here.

So with that of course the casting was amazing- with a few notable exceptions. I've never liked Lupin- he is always so angry. Always. Of course he was hired by the aforementioned artsy 3rd movie director so that explains it. And I HATED Narcissa. She was the WORST Narcissa EVER! She looked like she was 60 years old. And what the hell is with the Skunked hair??!?! She is supposed to be pale and blonde like Draco and Lucius. WHAT THE HELL!?!

And Tonks- why the hell does Tonks have a mullet?!!? She is supposed to be young and hip- what the hell is up with that hair?!

As always Helena Bonham Carter was brilliant as Bellatrix. Perfect casting. So I understand why they try to use her in all Death Eater scenes.

This leads me to the big argument- I've heard people complain that it is different from the book. They all are! That is nothing new. Again to the Prizoner of Azkaban- that was the worst! This is by no means the worst. I try to go into these now and just watch them as a movie and not get offended by the differences. If JK Rowling approved the changes then I have to accept them. Only one thing pissed me off- the cornfield scene and end of that scene. How the hell could that have happened?!!? Where were the ministry protections?! Not a spoiler- it's in the promos.

I've never really liked the new Dumbledore- I much prefered Richard Harris. THis one just took it all too seriously- I've said it before but he came on during the 3rd artsy movie. He was so severe. Dumbledore is supposed to be lighthearted, with a twinkle in his eye, doesn't take himself seriously...this guy was always so stern. But at the end of this he redeemed himself.

And the end....they fought the dark with the light....and I cried like a baby.

I cannot WAIT til the next one. Two words- Albus Severus. I'll be inconsolable.

No comments: